Black & Kletz Allergy Mclean VA Location
Adult-onset asthma is not unusual for those who suffer from allergies. At Black & Kletz Allergy in McLean Va, we have treated many persons with this condition. If you are an adult with allergies who is not under an allergist’s care, call our office to schedule an exam. Asthma is a serious condition which left untreated, can be fatal in extreme examples. Allergies, as well as asthma, can significantly impact a person’s quality of life. Treatment by our allergist in McLean VA can improve or even reverse allergies as well as address the patient’s asthma.
Adult-Onset Asthma and Allergy in McLean VA
Adult-onset asthma is a diagnosis of adults with asthma who are 20 years of age or older. Around 50% of adult Americans with asthma also suffer from allergies. If you developed allergies as a child, you may not experience asthma symptoms until later in life. If you believe you might be developing asthma, contact Black & Kletz Allergy in McLean VA and schedule an exam with an allergist. Asthma can be a very serious condition so it’s important that you not delay in seeking medical care.
Asthma can be classified as a lung disorder that can present with intermittent symptoms, depending on the patient. Whether or not the person has allergies, their lungs may experience any or all of the following during an asthma attack:
- Inflammation or swelling of the airway linings
- Substantial amounts of mucus production that is thicker than normal mucus
- Narrowing of the lung’s airways when the surrounding muscles contract
Symptoms of Asthma
The symptoms of asthma will vary from one person to the next. Your allergist at Black & Kletz Allergy in McLean VA can diagnose whether or not your allergies are triggering your condition. If you have asthma, you might experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Difficulty with breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Coughing more than normal, particularly night times
- Wheezing, which sounds like a whistling noise while breathing
- Tightness in the chest
Those in Virginia Who Are More Likely to Develop Adult-Onset Asthma
Some people are more likely than others to develop adult-onset asthma. If you are suffering from allergies, your allergist at Black & Kletz Allergy in McLean VA can determine if you have developed adult-onset asthma. Those who are at highest risk are:
- Women who are pregnant, experiencing menopause, or are undergoing another form of hormonal change.
- Women who are taking estrogen for at least 10 years after experiencing menopause.
- Individuals who suffer from allergies.
- Individuals who have recently had a cold or flu or other types of illness or virus.
- Individuals who have a type of chronic heartburn with reflex known as GERD.
- Individuals who are exposed to environmental triggers or irritants such as mold, perfume, tobacco smoke, or dust. If a trigger occurs in the workplace and directly causes asthma, it is considered “occupational asthma.”
If you suffer from allergies and asthma McLean VA patients suffer from, call Black & Kletz Allergy to schedule an appointment with our allergist.