If you have allergies or asthma and need allergy shots in Washington DC, a doctor from Black & Kletz Allergy can provide you with the treatment you need to minimize or eliminate the symptoms associated with these conditions.
Having severe allergies or asthma can be uncomfortable as well as frightening, especially during a serious asthma attack. When one is unprepared to handle such an attack because they do not have the proper medication, it can require immediate medical attention. In the worst-case scenario, an asthma attack can be fatal. Call us at Black & Kletz Allergy to schedule an exam with our allergist to learn more about safe and effective treatment for your asthma and allergies.
Diagnosing Washington DC Patients with Allergies Induced Asthma
When you visit our allergists at Black & Kletz Allergy for an exam, you will likely undergo a skin prick test. This is a common way to determine if someone suffers from allergies and what allergens cause them to develop symptoms. The skin pricks are made with tiny amounts of various substances which may include certain types of food such as shellfish, or mold, bee venom, and more. If you are positive for allergies of any kind that is included in the skin prick test, your skin will react with red bumps.
Your allergist may use additional tests to determine whether or not you have asthma as well as allergies. These tests might include any of the following:
- Lung functionality. This test will show if a type of asthma medication known as a bronchodilator enables you to breathe more easily. If the bronchodilator helps, this indicates that you likely have asthma.
- Peak flow. This test measures the amount of air pressure in your exhalations.
- Spirometry. This test checks for whether or not your lungs’ bronchial tubes are narrowed, and measures the amount of air you exhale.
At Black & Kletz Allergy, our allergist treats patients who have asthma, allergies, or both. After a thorough examination and the necessary diagnostic tests, your doctor can recommend the appropriate treatment for your condition.
- Asthma. For the treatment of asthma, your doctor at Black & Kletz Allergy may prescribe oral medication or an anti-inflammatory inhaler medication. There are a variety of fast acting inhalers that can provide almost immediate relief when intermittent asthma symptoms occur. Other types of inhalers are effective when a patient experiences symptoms on a daily basis. Some patients in Washington DC who experience severe asthma (which may be triggered by allergies) will need to take oral medications as well as use an inhaler.
- Allergies. The treatment method for a patient’s allergies will depend on the severity of their symptoms. Antihistamines can help with symptoms such as itchy skin. Some patients require allergy shots for a period of time to reduce or eliminate reactions to allergens.
Contact Us for an Appointment
If you are in DC and would like to find relief from your asthma and/or allergies, contact us at Black & Kletz Allergy to schedule an appointment for allergy shots Washington DC patients recommend.