Allergy Skin Test Falls Church VA
Finding out you are allergic to something can be a very inconvenient truth. This inconvenience might affect your daily life and finances, but those may be the least of your concerns. Some allergies can be severe and cause enormous challenges in life or even be life-threatening. Regardless of how mild or severe your allergies may be, it is important you learn what you are allergic to and how to manage the symptoms.
In order to do this, an allergy skin test Falls Church, Virginia doctors recommend should be administered. These tests can confirm your allergy sensitivities; after which, a treatment plan can be developed. To schedule an allergy skin test in Falls Church VA, please call Black & Kletz Allergy.
Table of Contents:
- The Effectiveness of Allergy Tests
- Types of Allergy Tests
- What You Should Know About Allergy Skin Tests
- Who is an Ideal Candidate for Falls Church VA Allergy Shots?
- Why You Should Choose Black & Kletz Allergy
- The Cost of Allergy Shots and Allergy Skin Tests in Falls Church VA
- The Effectiveness of Allergy Shots
- Can a Pregnant Woman Have Allergy Shots Administered
- Schedule Your Allergy Shots Today
The Effectiveness of Allergy Tests
Allergy tests are effective, but they should only be administered if there is a history of allergies or various findings during a physical exam. Positive test results do not necessarily indicate you are allergic to something. Rather it might mean that you are sensitive to a substance. A sensitive person is only considered to be allergic when their skin test demonstrates a clear development of allergy symptoms following the contact with the allergen.
Skin tests are between 85 and 90 percent accurate. Food allergy skin tests and skin tests for mold tend to be slightly less reliable. If either of these is suspected to be your allergen, your allergist may discuss other testing options.
Types of Allergy Tests
There are many different types of allergy tests. The most common type is Falls Church VA allergy skin tests. These can be performed in the following methods: pin prick test, intradermal test, scratch test, and patch test. Scratch tests are the most common and involve the allergist marking the skin and placing allergens on the marks. Then, light scratches are made to the skin.
If there are any reactions, you may be allergic to the substance on the mark. Patch tests tend to be used for chronic allergy conditions such as dermatitis or metal allergies. Intradermal tests may be utilized for insect stings or bites and pinprick tests are similar to scratch tests except the skin will be pricked with a very small needle. Blood tests may also be done to look for certain antibodies to allergens.
The results from allergy tests Falls Church allergy doctors perform on you can take between 10 minutes and 1 hour. Patch tests may be left on you for 48 hours; after which, you will need to return to the clinic.
If you get any positive results, the next steps may be taken:
- Your allergist may counsel you on how to manage and avoid the allergens.
- Antihistamines, steroids, and medications may be prescribed.
- Allergy shots may be recommended.
What You Should Know About Allergy Skin Tests
- Skin tests can be performed on anyone, of any age.
- You should not take antihistamines for 2-3 days before the test.
- You should tell your allergist if you are taking any medications.
- Some beta-blockers and antidepressants can alter skin tests.
- If you have ever had a serious allergic reaction, such as anaphylaxis, you should tell your allergist. These tests may not be recommended.
- Pregnant women, people who have recently had a heart attack or stroke, and those who have asthma or impaired lung function should consult their doctor and allergist before having a skin test
When people with allergies need to have an allergy skin test in Falls Church, many choose Black & Kletz Allergy for its excellence in care. If you are looking for an allergist, please call our office today.
Allergy shots include small amounts of natural allergens that are injected into the upper arm. These injections cause the body to produce antibodies that eventually block the symptoms of the allergic reaction. Allergy shots can be effective for people who have allergies to dust mites, mold, grass, tree, insect venom, and more. Although the treatment is slow, it can provide long term relief. A Falls Church VA allergy skin test can help determine what should be included in the serum for the patient’s allergy shot.
Who is an Ideal Candidate for Falls Church VA Allergy Shots?
You may be a candidate for allergy shots if you:
- Cannot control your symptoms with medications
- Have side effects when you take medications
- Would like to decrease your use of medications
- Have allergies to things you cannot avoid (i.e. dust mites or pollen)
- Have severe reactions to stinging insects
- Want an effective, long term solution to your allergy problems
If you have asthma, your allergist might also recommend allergy shots. They may help to improve your breathing and reduce your need for medicines. They are not generally ideal for food allergies. No matter what it is you suffer from, an allergy skin test can help your doctor choose the best course of treatment.
Why You Should Choose Black & Kletz Allergy
Black & Kletz Allergy has been helping men, women, and children for decades. Our board-certified allergists understand how debilitating allergies can be and utilize the most effective treatment methods to reduce or eliminate symptoms. We offer personalized care, individualized testing, and custom treatment recommendations. Our allergy shots use the highest quality extracts. We have a high level of clinical success and always strive to improve our practice.
The Cost of Allergy Shots and Allergy Skin Tests in Falls Church VA
A majority of insurance plans cover allergy skin tests and allergy shots. Some plans cover all of the treatment, but others require a deductible or a co-pay. This will depend on your own plan. We recommended contacting your insurance company to find out what coverage may be available. If you require any help with this, please let us know.
The Effectiveness of Allergy Shots
When allergy shots are administered properly, they are approximately 80% to 85% effective. Clinical studies have shown the treatment can reduce the symptoms of allergies, decrease medication usage, prevent new allergies, and promote relief. They are also cost-effective and can reduce your overall healthcare-related expenses.
Can a Pregnant Woman Have Allergy Shots Administered
The initial phase of allergy shots tend to have the most reactions; therefore, starting allergy shots during pregnancy might not be advisable. If a woman has been undergoing the treatment for several months and becomes pregnant, she should discuss whether or not to continue with her OB-GYN and allergist.