Find Allergy Doctor Washington DC
What You Should Know About Allergy Shots and Treatment
When you have the symptoms of allergies and are unable to effectively control them you may want to find an allergy doctor in Washington DC. Also known as immunotherapy, these shots encourage the immune system to build a resistance to the allergen. Doses are individually prepared for each patient to ensure they receive the most effective treatment. If you’re ready to find a long term solution for your allergies, call Black & Kletz Allergy to learn about finding an allergy doctor in Washington DC.
What You Should Know About Allergies and Immunotherapy
- Allergies can be treated through avoiding the allergy, certain medications, and immunotherapy
- Immunotherapy can be given through injections or drops under the tongue
- Allergy shots Arlington VA allergy doctors recommend tend to be more effective than the drops with an approximate 85-90% success rate. Whereas drops have a success rate of about 65-70%.
- Men, women, and children can receive allergy shots.
- Food allergies are generally not treated with immunotherapy.
- If the allergy is severe, shots may not be recommended.
- Immunotherapy can take between 1 and 5 years to work, but results are often noticeable after a few months.
How Your Allergies Will Be Treated
Each person who has allergies will find their treatment to be customized to their needs. When it comes to treating an allergy, a Washington DC allergy doctor may take into consideration the following before making any recommendations.
- Your age
- Your health history
- Your symptoms and allergy diagnosis
- Your ability to handle certain medicines or procedures
- Your preference
In general, the most effective way to manage your symptoms is to avoid the allergen, take medicine, and undergo immunotherapy.
Understanding Allergy Shots Arlington VA Clinic Black & Kletz Allergy Provides
Allergy shots are ideal for people who have hay fever, eye allergies, asthma, allergies to stinging insects, and other allergies. Essentially the treatment involves a desensitization of allergies through a special mix of pollens, molds, danders, mites, and so forth. This mix is also known as an allergy extract and is similar to a vaccine. Doses may be given one to two times per week for four to six months (sometimes more or less). Later on, the injections may be decreased to once a week, every other week, or once a month, for example.
The extract of allergens boosts your immune system and teaches it how to fight off the allergens without causing you symptoms. Allergy shots may need to be given for up to five years or more. Your allergy doctor you find in Washington DC will monitor your progress and may adjust the dosage as necessary. He or she will also advise you on an approximate length of time the treatment will take.
On average, 9 in 10 people will find that allergy shots are effective; however, it typically takes 12 – 18 months before the symptoms disappear. Some people do notice results in as short as six months. During your treatment, you may need to continue taking allergy medications and practice prevention methods.
If you have an allergy, you may want to find allergy doctor Washington DC patients recommend to discuss your symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment with you. Call Black & Kletz Allergy for an appointment.