Allergy Skin Test Tysons Corner, VA
The first time you visit our allergy doctor at Black & Kletz Allergy, you may undergo an allergy skin test in Tysons Corner, VA, also known as a skin prick test. This is a standard and common diagnostic test used to determine the causes of your allergies. The way it works is that your allergy doctor will prick your skin and insert a small sample of a substance they wish to test for an allergic reaction. If you are allergic to it, the area will redden and develop a bump. A red ring will appear around the bump and the bump itself may be very itchy. Your allergy doctor may test you for allergic reactions to any or all of the following:
- Common environmental triggers such as dust, mold, pollen, etc.
- Certain foods such as shellfish.
- Pet dander.
What is considered an allergen?
When a substance causes an allergic reaction, it is considered an allergen. During the Tysons Corner, VA allergy skin test administered by your allergy doctor, when the test sample is inserted under the skin, if your body is allergic to it, your immune system will react. It reacts by generating antibodies to defend itself against the allergen because it considers it a threat. The allergen then binds to an antibody and the body releases histamine, which is a natural chemical. The histamine becomes part of the body’s allergic reaction to the allergen. As a result, you may experience these symptoms:
- Your blood vessels release fluid which causes swelling and redness.
- Your blood vessels become increasingly porous and widen.
- Your stomach generates excess acid.
- Your nerve endings become over-stimulated and cause hives, rashes, and/or itching.
- Your body creates excess mucous which causes teary eyes, a runny nose, and/or congestion.
- Your blood vessels widen which causes your blood pressure to drop (severe cases).
- Your bronchial tubes constrict and your airway swells, making it difficult to be able to breath (severe cases).
What should I expect when I undergo the skin prick test?
Your allergy doctor at Black & Kletz Allergy will initially discuss your condition, symptoms, health and family’s health history, and the triggers that seem to aggravate your allergies. This information will influence which potential allergens will be included in your Tysons Corner, Virginia allergy skin test. Each individual’s test is unique because they are affected differently by environmental factors. As a result, your allergy doctor could test you for several potential allergens, or as many as several dozen.
Your allergy doctor or a nurse will perform the skin prick test on your back or on the inside of your arm. Once completed, your allergy doctor will review the reactions. The entire process, from testing to reviewing the results, is usually completed in less than an hour’s time. Also, keep the following in mind along with any other instructions provided by your allergy doctor’s office:
- Do not take any allergy medications (prescription or over-the-counter) the day of your test.
- Do not use perfume or skin lotion on your arms or back where the testing will occur.
Get an Allergy Skin Test in Tysons Corner, VA!
If you suffer from allergies, contact us at Black & Kletz Allergy to schedule an appointment with our allergy doctor for your Tysons Corner, VA allergy skin test.